Saturday, February 2, 2008

Do you want to see a Southern Lady have the vapors....



HCG January 24 2008

As you know I was not southern born, we came to Mississippi in 1979 and to Edwards in 1987. So you would think, nearly 30 years later, I could no longer be bewildered by the South’s little idiosyncrasies, those charming traits that sets us apart from the rest of the world. But, very recently, I was quite flabbergasted, by the reaction; I brought on, among some of the genteel southern ladies I know.
You all, I had not seen a reaction like it in a very long time. Not since John’s heart attack years ago, when I announced to my walking buddies “While John is in surgery, (a triple bypass)…I am going home and mow the grass”… I thought they all might have collective strokes…. Bless their hearts; they were horrified to say the least….. They literally stopped breathing.
The day of John’s surgery the waiting room was packed with friends… I suspect it had less to do with keeping me company, then making sure I stayed.
What brought on this latest horror-struck reaction was ambrosia. I had ambrosia for the very first time this past Christmas. I loved it! So I decided to make and carry it to my daughter’s in-laws for Christmas dinner.
I had ask several ladies how they made their ambrosia…there was lots of variations… some used fresh coconut, but others used frozen and a few used canned, …some put in grapes and one added bananas at the very last minute, but all the recipes included segments of fresh oranges, maraschino cherries, and coconut.
Early Christmas Eve morning I commenced to make ambrosia, I cut the oranges, added the sugar, cherries and fresh coconut. The juices began to ooze out of the fruit, those juices are delicious and I had noticed the evening I first enjoyed ambrosia, as it was being served, much of the juice escaped over the sides of the spoon and stayed in the bowl. So I added an envelope of gelatin, to tighten it up…..It turned out beautifully. Or so I thought…. later that day two friends dropped in…I proudly showed off my Ambrosia….I was taken back, they appeared distressed at the sight of it, “That’s not ambrosia!”
When they were able to calm down a bit and regain their usual well-mannered behavior, they did tell me, it was “pretty”…and it tasted “alright”…. then serenely, but firmly emphasized again “But it is not ambrosia”
Another very important life lesson has been learned, along with “Don’t tug on Superman’s cape, Or Spit into the wind" .... Now I am adding "Do Not fool with The Southern ladies receipe for Ambrosia…"


Oh, you can make it and add the gelatin, and they would eat it, and quite possibly enjoy it…but unless you want to see a proper lady of the south, in near melt down condition, do not call it “Ambrosia”.
Love to all

No comments:

Post a Comment