Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cemetery Clean up Day...In Edwards













Sunday afternoon October 19, I write for the Hinds County Gazette the following:

We here in rural Hinds county are holding up well, considering all that is activities, we have been attending. The month of October is one, of perhaps only two, that the weather is reliability pleasant enough to plan large out door events for great masses of people. The Mississippi State fair, the Canton Flea market, the Old Court House Flea Market in Vicksburg, Raymond has just wrapped up two weeks of pilgrimage events. There have been country church homecomings, school carnivals etc.

Yesterday was Cemetery Cleanup Day here in Edwards. Our leader and chief organizer Mr. Knocky Askew earlier this month was having serious trouble with his back, he had pain that had become quite unbearable. So early on there had been a bit of panic regarding Cemetery Day, rampant speculating, questioning if Fall cemetery Day would even take place this time. And there was much whispering amongst us, wondering what would happen if Knocky could no longer over see the cemetery? What if his health forced him to hand over the plot maps? and that jig, constructed of 2x4s, used by the men digging the graves to establish the width and length of opening? It was undisputed that it would take a least three people to replace Knocky.
Knocky was in the hospital several days, and had a procedure to relieve the pain….We were all tickled when Knocky arrived, his son, Dan, brought a golf cart to the cemetery and from that golf cart Mr. Knocky was able to over see, advise and make suggestions on the work going on at all corners of the cemetery. The pain in Knocky’s back is still there quite a nuisance, it is a lingering, nagging pain, but, is no longer unbearable, Knocky Askew is a very special man.


Then yesterday evening the Dan Mashburns over in Bolton, held their much looked forward to, annual ‘Pig Pick’n’….many of the folks attending the Pig pick’n had also been to cemetery day, or the toured homes on Raymond’s pilgrimage.

There was no is complaining for sure…some as they were leaving the Pig Pick’n were already talking about the fish fry they would be attending come Sunday afternoon.

With Sadness in my heart I report:
Edwards Alderman at large, Robert Jack Smith, died Saturday…Robert Jack had been fighting cancer for a very long time. Mr. smith was an Edwards Icon, after retiring from Cal Maine, he was a familiar sight around town…if there was a water leak he was at the location watching, seeing that the job was job right.

Over the years Robert Jack was my go to guy at city hall….he never dodged me, and I could always get him on the phone and he listened until I had all my piece said…. and as far as I know, he never lied to me, he did not make promises he could not keep. Robert Jack will be missed, in fact I had been missing him for a while, I noticed he had not been at any of the recent water leaks…I meant to ask about him….I didn’t and now I am sorry…..I would liked to have told my friend good bye.

Love to all, call if you need me.

My grandson, Garrett, that was in the car wreck…he is doing ok…he has to go to rehab three times a week and he will not be able to go back to school until January…but he is ok…thanks very much for your concern and your prayers.

GloriaChristiansen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment