Friday, November 28, 2008

Harley's Funeral and the decorating of the Christmas tree

Harley Loved parties!
finished!!!

Jac and Suz



Harley was laid to rest in the rose bed.


Harley as he was at visitation....




Christiansen's comments
Hinds County Gazette

November 27 2008

Much has happened since I last was here. Our poodle, Harley, who was at least 16 years old, had to be put to sleep Monday two weeks ago.

John found Harley, abandoned, on the Natchez trace, one hot afternoon, in July of 1994. We were puzzled as to why, because, when John found him he was groomed, well fed, and showed no signs of ever being abused. But with in a very short time, we understood why he had been dumped beside the road. . Harley was not a good traveler….He loved to ride …but he barked and whined the whole time he was in the car. John and I soon came to believe his first family took him on a vacation…thought he would get tired of barking and whining and shut up on after while, but he didn't and they took the yapping as long as they could and just had to put him out, before they lost their minds….So we had no hard feelings toward his first family. ….And Our family were blessed with years of enjoyment from Harley’s faithful companionship.

Then one of my daughter ’s family cats, Baby Girl, had to be put to sleep this week, she was almost 18 years old, they had had her very nearly as long a they had Garrett. Baby girl’s passing made me conscious of the fact that my three cats, Boo, Scout and Harper Lee could out live me. If my cats live to be 20, I will be in my 80s…Elderly animals are not easy to tend to…you have to love them to deal with their little messes, piles and puddles for sure. …and Harley eating manners became quite untidy in his old age… food morsels dropped every where and he upchucked a good bit …his breath was just awful.

When I die who would take of my elderly cats and dogs? I would not want them to go to a shelter.. So I have made the decision will not be getting any more pets…and pray I outlive the animals I have.

I have good news!…I spent a bit of time the last couple of weeks being tested, scanned, and probed….There is no sign of cancer any where…I get the port out Tuesday! That chapter of my life is Over!

My Christmas tree is up and decorated! My buddies, Jacqueline and Suzanne, came over and did it for me…They were feeling sorry for me…what with Harley's death and me having to endure those tests. Actually it was Jacqueline who did the decorating…Suz had medical malady of her own, resulting in a big bo bo on her pointy finger, it was bandaged up in such a way, that it made the entire hand nearly unusable….But Suz did her part…she was a great encourager to Jac. Decorating a Christmas tree, is tedious job, but Jac brought a CD of Christmas music, So with music playing, and Suz’s encouraging words, her giggles of delight and big smiles of approval…It wasn’t long until the tree was up and lit and beautiful.


Me? What did I do while my friends were decorating my Christmas tree? Not much....I did get up to refill a glass now and then....But, mostly, I just sat there with my feet up,... watching… and Thanking God for friends…....


Love to all


Call if you need me…..

GloriaChristiansen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment