Sunday, March 8, 2009

Christiansen's Comments Hinds county Gazette March 5 2009








As most of you know the Clinton Brick Street Players just wrapped their production of Smokey Joe’s Café. I am a great admirer of all the talented folks who work so hard to put on the shows, Naomi Barnette is an Edwards girl, so of course ,we from over this way are all a great fans of hers.







I read in the Community Calendar section of the Hinds County Gazette this, “ The show includes nearly 40 songs” When I read that, I said right out loud “Yikes! 40 songs That will take all night!” I did not think I could sit through 40 songs even if they were some of the “ greatest songs ever recorded…..”


You all, Sunday mornings, I am one of those people who instinctively knows when the big hand and the little hand on the clock are just about to point to straight up 12.…I go to fidgeting, I do all right for a hour….then I am pretty much done…my attention goes to waning . But, Let me hasten to say I have learned something from nearly every sermon I have ever heard…even though I believe I have heard one version or another just about all of them…but each sermon is delivered from different view points and at different times of our lives.

And I have sat through some very long sermons and was totally engrossed and did not take note of the passing time.

I believe as I have gotten older my attention span has gotten shorter…I think I have the OPADD…Old Person Attention Deficit Disorder or easier to say Op Add. I don’t go to movies because of my OPADD …that sounds peculiar coming from someone who is fixing to get on a greyhound bus and ride for over 20 hours….but on the bus I will be able to get up and stir around, pass out my homemade cookies…talk on the phone, if I have bars…look out the window, talk to my fellow passengers… all such as that.


I said all of that to say, lots of my friends, Buddies and acquaintances went to see Smokey Joe’s Café the first weekend. …I did not…….. my friends came back with glowing reviews.
So I did attend this past Friday…It was wonderful! 40 song are not too many!


The cast was of curious ensemble….Peter James, very talented, fun to watch performer and I would say of the original rock and roll generation….The others in the cast and the band members, I am guessing most of which are on the fast track to mid life….Then there was the Finch brothers, Austin and Trey late teens, early 20s…fabulously talented…young, full of energy and oh, so, agile. A reminder of the way I was, back in the day, when these songs were topping the charts…..Austin and Trey could have stole the show from their less nimble, more arthritic co-stars….But they didn’t, they respectfully watched and learned. It was a beautiful thing to watch the three generations on that stag…And they, with great enthusiasm, confirmed, once again, “Rock and Roll is here to stay!”




Love to all, call if you need me







PS. I am soon as I finish up here, I am going to the post office, to mail my check to reserve a booth at the first Saturday Flea Market, in Terry this weekend I will be selling my cement leaves…if you are over that way stop and say hello…Please, don’t feel like you have to buy…Because you don’t…In fact, you can come to my house this summer and watch me make leaves, go home and make’m your self. But I must warn you, first of all, making concrete leaves is quite a messy process and addictive. I believe it is quite possible this hill, before I die, will be fully paved with concrete leaves.…

No comments:

Post a Comment