Friday, December 25, 2009

Christiansen's Comments,Hinds County Gazette Decmber 17 2009




Last time we spoke I told you I would not be keeping you long, because I was getting my house ready for a bridal shower. Over the years you have heard me mention my friends Bob and Betty Kemp many times… Well…as I was writing that column, my friend Bob , and his friend Thomas were at the bottom of my hill cutting up a big limb that had fallen across the old drive way…we needed the old drive for parking for the shower, so I asked Bob at church Sunday could he come help me…early Monday morning he and Thomas came and tended to the limb.




That Monday morning was the last time I saw Bob…. When Bob did not come to church Sunday, his family went to check on him….and found him dead.… I went to the house, I wanted to see him…before his body was removed….I had to see his face….. I am convinced, my friend Bob Kemp died a quietly, without pain or struggle…….I had to see that for myself. As near as coroner could tell…Bob died sometime



Saturday. I never could catch Bob home so, I didn’t even get to tell him “thank you“ for cutting that limb out of the drive way. That makes me sad. Betty died several months ago…..I miss them….they were like family.



It was a hard week for us over here in Edwards…earlier in the week…Jo Ruth McClain died. Jo Ruth was a thoughtful lady….one day, years ago, I looked out the kitchen window, Wilson and Jo Ruth were getting out of Wilson’s pick up…they were carrying the most beautiful cut glass bowl…and coming to my door. Jo Ruth handed me the beautiful piece and said “I thought of you, and wanted you to have this bowl, because you are always having parties” It had belonged to a friend of hers in Vicksburg…was that the sweetest most thoughtful thing? If you have the Vicksburg Junior Auxiliary ’s cookbook Ambrosia, the bowl on the cover full of ambrosia, is very similar to the one Jo Ruth gave me.



In fact when my friend Betsy gave me the cookbook Ambrosia , I thought it was my bowl on the cover…I remembered Jo Ruth saying it had belonged to a friend in Vicksburg , but when I scrutinize them side by side it was not the same pattern…..Betsy gave me the book as a gift before my first chemo treatment….Seems like people are always giving me nice things doesn’t it?



Saturday the children of Bob Kemp gave me a very special gift, it was a well worn denim jacket that was Bob’s when he was a child…they found it neatly folded and put away amongst the things he treasured…The little jacket will now be happily at home, here 201, nestled cozily in amongst my treasures.



Love to all and Merry Christmas



PS. There was a time, I may have thought Christmas would not be a good time to bear the death of someone close…but lately I have been thinking, it is not such a bad time….everywhere I look there are reminders of the Baby Jesus, Gods gift to the world…so that we, who believe in him, may have life ever lasting…..now

No comments:

Post a Comment