Monday, January 17, 2011

"Christiansen Comments" for Hinds County Gazette January 13 2011

Before day break....Monday Morning January 10 2011






The back steps are covered with sleet and ice….over the weekend we here in mid Mississippi experienced a rare, winter, weather event…sleet, freezing rain and snow.

Now then, let me ask you this, does it seem to you, that these “rare” weather events are not as rare as they once were? We came to Mississippi in 1979 I do not remember snow and ice as frequently in the 80s and 90.…. Maybe is it just me and my unreliable memory.



The weather folks began warning us early on in the week that this weather “event” was very likely to occur…But as their prophecies are not always accurate….So I did not hurry out to prepare.



But by late Friday, early Saturday morning the weather folks warning were in earnest. I got to thinking the weather people can’t be wrong every time. So I was up and out of here by 5:15 AM Saturday morning, first I filled up the truck with gas, then went on to the grocery store.   I was in the Kroger Store before 6 am.



Actually I didn’t really need anything at the store, but the news people were insisting we  stock up… I was already stocked up…But I went anyway. It took more then one trip up and down each and every isle to do it, but finally I managed to gather up enough stuff to spend $88. Then I came home made the biggest batch of chili you ever saw…got my laundry all done….and finished vacuuming. I was sooooooooo ready, I had even stopped and got a bit of real money. John could never understand, way I never had any cash, or gas in my vehicle



Now that the sun is up…I do not see any damage…not even any broken branches.



But still and all, I will not be going out today…it was my mother contention that old people had no business out side when it was below freezing….while it was or after a freezing rain, sleet or snow. If you did, she thought you were asking for a broken bone .



If God allows the loved ones that went before us, to look down and check on us…John and mother should be happy to know, their words of wisdom were not wasted …I did listen….and am now taking their advise very seriously.





I am still on my quest to make the very best tamales.   And I did make 2 new tamale recipes last week, , the dough covering the tamale filling… I am satisfied I have found the right formula for it….But the filling, I believe could use a bit of fine-tuning . However, Charles Davis, who quite possibly has had a taste of every tamale recipe I have tried so far…. has declared Daughter Angela wrong , Charles says, “they do not need a sauce”.



Ginger Kilby told me she recently found a recipe for tamales, that was sent to her sometime back, from a lady up in the delta ….I am waiting for Ginger to run up on that recipe again…when she does, she has promised to send it to me….I want to try it for sure, the Mississippi Delta is famous not only for the blues but also for their tamales….




Love to all

Call if you need me

No comments:

Post a Comment