Monday, June 13, 2011

Christiansen's Comments...Hinds County Gazette Thursday June 9 2011

Facebook?

I bet there are some of you who do not know anything about Facebook. I shall attempt to explain to you what little I know. Facebook is what ‘s called a “social network“…you do it on the computer, by connecting to the Internet and signing up, you able to keep up with all your “friends” without stepping outside your door or getting in the car,and driving over to a friend's house to hang out on the porch… You don’t even have to make a phone call…not anymore…just turn on your computer and you can read all about what is happening in the lives of your “friends“.




Well in fact, You don’t even have to get on a computer , if you have a smart phone….with a smart phone you never have to be out of touch with your friends, where ever you are or they are in this world, all you have to do is … touch an icon on the phone and instantly you can read all about your friends, where they are, what they are eating, and what their dog is doing…..complete with pictures!

       I was posting pictures of .....


My new Grand dog Scout...!!!!
  Animals are very popular facebook topic….yesterday Erin Noble Patrick had a picture of a baby rabbit that was found in her neighborhood. Shea Cannada had a picture of Micah cutting their dog Bojangles toe nails.…My friend Janice had a wonderful picture of her grand dog sound asleep hugging a stuffed Barney. .

Unnamed Rabbit


Bojangles


Sable and Barney
 Of course deer season it is all about the deer...but right now is mostly dogs and cats.

Food is another popular topic, Mary Kathryn is always posting pictures of yummy nibbles.



I have been a facebookie for awhile, but not very active…I found it was taking up too much of my time…running back and forth to my computer… and I didn’t have many friends….sort of embarrassing. You see, after the quick sign up procedure, you go on the hunt for “friends”….I asked everybody I knew to be my friend. I had less then 30....BUT of those 30, I am guessing, if I was to go live with Jesus, they all would be at my funeral...That is if I didn't die during a hunting season...or an important sports playoff.

All of my face book friends had great multitudes of "friends". Up in the high 100s some nearly 1000 ….So I begin to wonder how do they know so many people? I asked a friend, “how do you know all those “friends”?

“people ask me to be their friend.” Nobody was asking me.



But I recently bought an Iphone…I now know how folks get so many people to be their "friend"…they steal them from their "friends"…I guess I didn’t pay any attention until I got the IPhone, but you can click on your friend’s “friends” and ask them to be your ‘friend“. On one of my friends pages I came across the name Beth Harris Guider, I said out loud ,“I know her! Beth is Alison‘s mother!" Alison Guider was the star student at Hillcrest Christian School this year! my friend Lindsey Noble was the star teacher this year at Hill crest.! And Of course I know Beth’s mother Lois Harris…I knew Lois before I met her…. from reading Ms Worrell‘s Learned news… I made one touch to my IPhone screen and ask Beth to be my friend…Then I ran up on Mac McNair’s name on a friends list…I clicked on him…Never mind I hadn‘t seen Mac in 20 years…..then Joe Liddell’s name popped up on some ones list, “I know him”!!!” I have met him a couple of times at Suzanne and Dave Harpole’s house! click…. Lo and behold, all three of them let me be their friend….



Daughter Angela came, I ask her if she had any “friends” that might let me their friend …”Ask Bruce, he will be your friend.” so I did…. he is…so now I have a “friend“, that as far as I know, I have never laid eyes on…But I’m thinking I am going to like him….Saturday Bruce was out shopping with his dog Abby, there were pictures ….they were at The Bass Pro shop.

Abby


I was so encouraged I began clicking in earnest and asking folks to be my friend I now have over 100 friends.



In a very short time Facebook has redefined the term “friend“. Is it a good thing? I don’t know

 I doubt many of my newly acquired facebook friends will be at my funeral....probably will not even be aware of my passing unless they see it on facebook.…

But wouldn’t it be nice if every one in the world could be friends?
And That’s all I know about facebook…. Got to go now and water the ferns….


Call if you need me....












No comments:

Post a Comment