Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Bridge is Open!!! The Bridge is Open!!!



Recently, I found this Hinds County Gazette column mentioning the bridge that I had not posted here.


Christiansen’s Comments
HCG December 14 2007
All things considered, it fairly quiet around Edwards. The construction on the new bridge is winding on down. Friday afternoon Jacqueline, Miss Haley (Jacqueline’ soon to be 3 year old grand) and I walked over to see the progress, one of the workers told us it would be finished before the first of the year… They had not poured any concrete yet, but there was lots of rebar and compacted sand in place.

The old hump back bridge was quite narrow, so when I ventured over it, I would close my eyes and pray that nobody was coming up the other side….. You might as well close your eyes you couldn’t see anything anyway. Because, when driving over the wooden bridge, as you reached the crest, all you could see was sky. …I can not help but believe, many prayers were whispered at the top of that old bridge. And God did look after us…I do not recall a single collision of consequence happening on that old bridge.

This new bridge seems to be even steeper then the old bridge…Looking at the incline brought Mac McNair to mind. “Mac could have made good use of this new bridge.” I said. When we first moved to Edwards, Mac was a familiar sight, flying around town on his skate board…. He was just a kid back then….

Mac recently got married in New York… I know no details. In fact I am not sure how I know that much.
Late Friday afternoon, Jacqueline’s new computer arrived…a lap top with a docking station…Very excited, I hurried out to the country, calling myself going to help her get it up and running.

But if you can plug in a toaster, you can get a computer up and functioning…It’s a good thing too…The piece of paper that the instructions were printed on was quite narrow, maybe 3 inches wide, but rather long… I’m guessing.18 or 20inches, the English language portion took up maybe 21/2 of those inches. It didn’t matter, because when that computer got electricity to it….all of the instruction required came on the screen….it walked you through every phase…it took a bit of time, but it sure was easy.

In fact, the most difficult part of the whole process was releasing the software from their cellophane wrapped, hard plastic boxes …one in particular was frustrating… It had this red ribbon hanging out of it, thinking that must be how it opened…Jac worked on it, until she got out done with the it… at that point she handed it to me, I struggle with it a good while, when I gave up… Jac carried it to hubby Russell …He took his pocket knife to it…And way on after while, he called from the living room….”I don’t know what I did, but its open.” And that’s all I know for this week…..

Besides, I got to run…I am cooking and it is time to add the vinegar, to a dish I am renaming this year…I am calling it “Aspic of Le Porcetet” I am hoping that is French. I am renaming the dish, because, even some (nearly all) of my best buddies, the most culinaryly courageous folks I know, will not even taste it…. when called by its American title. Now these are the same folks who will eat cat fish stuffed eggs…we will see if the name change helps.

“Aspic of Le` Porcetet” is not unlike fruitcake ether you like it or you don’t…most don’t…I would suspect more folks would eat fruitcake then “Aspic of Le Porcetet”
Love to all, and I hope you are enjoying the holiday season….soon it will be Christmas.
Call if you need me

No comments:

Post a Comment