Friday, May 2, 2008

Over the Bridge! We GO!!!!







HCG April 24 2008
The long anticipated new Bridge, over the railroad tracks in Edwards is at last open. The ribbon cutting ceremony was this past Wednesday. There was not much of a crowd on hand for what I considered a significant moment in Edwards history…

Perhaps, for what ever reason, it was meant to be a hushed event…but I, quite by chance, found out that it was fixing to open…. Thinking, that I, was no doubt, the last to get the word, left the house early that morning to get ahead of the crowds of interested citizenry, of TV cameras and other media, to stake out a position on the hill in front of the old Lewis house to observe the proceedings. But almost no one came…There was only one reporter…she was from, I believe, the Clarion Ledger if she had a camera I did not see her take any pictures. Ribbon cutting’s usually draw large crowds of dignitaries, but sadly there wasn’t many at our bridge opening.

Mayor Perkins gave a nice speech bringing us up to date on future plans that will benefit Edwards. A couple of guys from the Mississippi economical council spoke…. Then, bless her heart, Pat Siegrest, who thought she was just another interested by stander was called on to say a few words….once she got over the attack of panic brought on by being asked to speak…. Did a bang up job. We, who live in rural Hinds county, even without much notice, can jump in and do what ever needs to be done ….to get the job done. Seeing there was no one to hold the wide red ribbon that was to be cut…Charles Rather and Haley Cannada cheerfully held the west end and Mary Jo Sabinson took the other end.


And in the end it was a very nice event…even managed a parade…if you can call two vehicles going in opposite directions a parade. I t consisted of the first official traffic to go over the bridge, the Mayor and his wife in one car, came over the bridge from the south and Charles Rather came from the north and they met in the middle. And as I was the last minute, self appointed, parade director, I am calling it a parade…..
The bed of Charles’s pick up was full of giddy ladies. I have pictures! What we, the crowd, lacked in numbers, we made up in enthusiasm.

Come to Edwards and see our bridge, I was prepared not to like the new bridge…because I do not except change easily….but the new bridge is pretty…it blends well with it's surroundings

I won’t be here next week…I am motoring, in my new truck, to North Carolina to see Adam and his family.
I will see you when I get back
Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment