Sunday, August 17, 2008

The south without cotton? Could it really happen?….. Is another era about to pass?



HCG August 14 2008
Saturday night it was cool enough I did not have to turn on the air conditioner in the bedroom….I am trying to conserve electricity, I have been hearing terrifying tales concerning recent power bills. … Five and six hundred dollars!!!!





So I am testing out a new scheme that I recently hatched up to save power and money. Last weekend during our power and water outage, I was advised to turn off my electric water heater…it seems that if the heating element comes on and there is no water in the tank…you are running the risk of burning out the element., so I turned it off. I did not turn the heater back on that evening…I took a shower before bed, the water was hot, furthermore the next morning when I went to washing dishes, the water was still so hot, I had to add cool water to keep from scalding myself….So to make a long story short…I am experimenting with just how long I have to let the water heater run to get a day’s supply of hot water…Thirty minutes seems to be plenty long enough. I have said it before and I will say it again, I am easily entertained….I am having great fun.





I did get my electric bill this week…even though the rate had increased…my bill had not gone up! I was tickled…I have all compact florescent bulbs, I no longer need my freezer on a daily bases, so I pulled its plug….when I run the air conditioners I put them on 80. I am a very good girl….Not only am I am saving money! I helping to save the planet! That bill was proof.. my conservation measures were paying off.
I was still busy congratulating my self on a job well done….…. when on the second page of my bill I spotted this statement “Reading is estimated due to animal in yard.” So it is no telling what I really owe.





Yes, that is Peggy Ann and I out ambling around Edwards again…. As many of you know we both have had some health issues, but we are now healthy and ready to hit the pavement again. We are not Olympian fit. But our endurance is great….we can walk as far as we ever could….it just takes a lot longer. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.
I got a bit homesick for Nebraska, When I saw Corn pickers at work in the fields last week. Here in Mississippi corn seems to be King now…. In just the last couple of years cotton fields have turned to fields of corn.





I am already nostalgic for the sight of a cotton field spreading across the landscape to the horizon., for watching the cotton as the season advances, ….The spring planting, setting it’s blooms , then it bolling out…crop dusters flying low to defoliate the cotton, and the final stage being picked and hauled to the gin.



The south without cotton? Could it really happen?….. Is another era about to pass?
Love to all, and call if you need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment