Monday, August 4, 2008

Summer Babble...from Hinds county Mississippi



HCG July 30 2008


Here we are again, smack in the middle of a long hot Mississippi summer…It is not only my cats that are losing their enthusiasm for summer…. The figs are getting ripe, but only the most dedicated fig aficionados are showing much interest….even home grown tomatoes seem to be losing their charm…As I make my way around town, I see red ripe tomatoes still hanging on the vine.

I want to know something…I have resurrection fern growing on the limbs of my pecan trees…well, the other night a big limb fell out of one of the trees, it had rained so the fern was lovely, lush and green on parts of the fallen limb…In fact it was so pretty on two of the biggest logs I had sawn up, I just could not bring myself to throw them on the back of my pickup for the disposal run.

I am thinking on carrying those two logs to the back yard and placing it in the flower bed. Okay now, This is what I want to know…Do the logs have to be alive for the fern to survive? Let me know…or time will tell and I can let you know.

I wish I had something newsy to tell you all….but I know nothing…the biggest event in my week was that limb falling out of the pecan tree. It was a big limb too…very big limb…I am so proud of myself…I sawed it up all by myself. Thanks to the late Mary Floyd and Ms Genie Angelo, two of my gardening heroes.

When I go to thinking an outside job is too difficult for me to take on…I think of Mary and Genie…they, well past the age I am now, did not back off from the physically difficult tasks.
Having said that…I must say this…I often call for help…but once in awhile I like to take on a really hard chore… just to prove to myself, I can still do it, if I have to.
There is something very satisfying about hard physical labor….When I was taking the chemo, work was one of the things I missed the most….I do not mind packing bags of cement, toting rocks, digging holes, sawing limbs…but I do not like dealing with bags of groceries…I do…. but I don’t like it….


call if you need me

No comments:

Post a Comment