Monday, February 13, 2012

Hinds County Gazette: My scribblings from the Febuary 9 2012

Early morning, February, 5, 2012


It is Super Bowl Sunday! Yea!? The last big tummy stuffing day of the 2011/2012 holiday season….



It is obvious that this old person is not among the demographics, that the nice folks, who are in charge of the Super Bowl, want to make happy. The game does not start until five… For a Sunday afternoon that is late! For me, Sundays are not like the rest of the weekend, Friday afternoon through Saturday, Saturday evening and Saturday night.



Sunday is different kind of day. At 5 in the afternoon, I may still be contemplating the morning sermon. And/or reflecting on the week that was or planning for the week ahead... often my tummy is still full from an abundant Sunday lunch and I get sleepy, truth be told…it is not unusual for me to be napping by 5 O’clock on a Sunday afternoon.

But Now! When it comes to Fridays and Saturdays 5 pm is not late at all!!! I have been known to be still up and wide awake at midnight on a Friday or Saturday night….not often, but it has happened.



I said all of that to say this; if they wanted me to watch the game from start to finish…they needed to start the game by one and let it be over by 5…

But, I will be watching the game and Eli this evening, but I am sure there will be a nap before it concludes….so I am also recording it…Don’t want to miss the much hyped commercials and Madonna halftime appearance.



I am not a fuddy-duddy, what I have come to believe our body clocks are set very early in our lives…once upon a time; way back when I was coming up, a day began at dawn and was more or less over by dark….TV went to test pattern at 10 PM!

A week was Monday through Saturday… Sunday was a unique day, a day unlike the rest of the week…it was quiet….not much happened on Sunday…. Afternoon rides were about all the excitement there was on a Sunday.



Believe it or not boys and girls, there was a time when America did not operate on the mind numbing, physically exhausting life of twenty four hours a day… seven days a week….An existence that is now considered the norm. There were no little league games on Sundays, no malls to go to…in fact back when I was a kid coming up…nothing was open on Sunday…not a grocery store…not a drug store. You did not mow your lawn or even water it on Sunday. I do not recall it being a moral issue…it was more like it didn’t occur to people to give up their Sundays to buy, sell or to work the yard.



I am not saying life was more enjoyable back then…I am just saying Sundays were special. And almost certainly better…but I am not saying it…that would make me a fuddy-duddy.



Monday Morning

Well!!! There was no napping during that Super Bowl Game!!!! What an exciting game!!

The Madonna’s half time show was not nearly as electrifying as the game, but maybe you had to be there to appreciate her performance. And the commercials I was disappointed in those…the movies they were advertising seem to contain far too much violence for my taste. The Coke’s polar bears were cute…but not Super Cute…



Frankly, I thought the car commercials were way over done…In fact, this morning, I could not tell you what brand of car they were trying to persuade me to purchase.



I did appreciate the “Imported from Detroit” commercial …with Clint Eastwood.



Hey, I got to go…I have a fun and full week ahead!!



No comments:

Post a Comment