Friday, April 3, 2009

Hinds County Gazette: Christiansen Comments...Bus Trip





About my bus trip to Ft. Myers Florida…it was not the frightening experience that had been envisaged by some of my relatives, friends, acquaintances and total strangers. All things considered it was quite uneventful….but extremely interesting.



At only one place was there any security precautions taken at all…it was as we were boarding the bus to leave Baton Rouge, there a security officer passed over each of us with a handheld metal detector. The first to under go this high tech pat down was a young man, wearing snug jeans and a tee shirt, he stood legs apart, arms straight out from the shoulder, in his left he held a bulging, medium sized, well worn, camouflage duffle bag…well, the officer glided the detector over the young man’s body, front and back, but the duffle bag, which to me, appeared much more intriguing then the young man, the officer did not get the detector close to it. Let me hasten to say this; the young man nor the bag seemed particularly intimidating…I am just saying…well you know what I am saying…Why bother?



At one of our early stops, while in the terminal, waiting to get back on the bus, a young man stood up, raised his hands over his head and declared “I am the savior, I am here to save.” I was taught that we were always to try our best be prepared for Jesus’ return….“You don’t know when or where it will happen.” So Of course, I looked up, because, I do not consider it out side the whelm of possibility…his return could come at a Greyhound bus terminal….After all Jesus’ birth place was a stable…not the Hilton, surrounded by kings and queens.



At first glance I thought it was a college student trying to get a rise out of us. Most folks in the waiting area did not even seem to notice the outburst. He was on the bus for much of that leg of my journey, he never spoke another word… and as time passed, it be came obvious that the world had not been kind to this young man. You could tell by his eyes, they were empty, like his soul had gone missing.

Everybody on the bus seemed to have cell phones…I did not talk to a lot of people, but I could not help but over hear conversations taking place all around me. ….Some quite interesting, one lady, mid to late 40's was going to Sarasota for a court appearance, she was discussing what her legal strategy would be when she got in the courtroom. I do not know for sure what she was charged with, but there was some mention of a car that had been confiscated.



There we all kinds of people riding the buses…Russian tourists, a young lady from France, a good number of people were going relatively short distances…they were riding the bus because it was the easiest way to get from here to there.



Coming out of Florida the buses were full, in fact for a short distance three guys had to stand for about 30 minutes, one of the guys was just a teenager, he came on carrying a skate board and a Rubik’s cubehe took me back in time, to the 80‘s, when son Adam was a teenager….Adam often was toting a skate board and a Rubik’s cube.



Hey I gotta go…I will tell you more about the bus ride next week…..the sun is out and I need to get in my yard… the weather man says it is going to rain the rest of the week. Isn’t Spring wonderful!!!!
Love to all , call if you need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment