Sunday, April 12, 2009

Life in the small town of Edwards Mississippi and the First Saturday Market in Terry Mississippi








Good morning….In spite of all the evidence, out my window, that spring has arrived …roses blooming , poison ivy turning green and twining up the side of my back porch, even the pecan trees are leafing … Spring apparently has not yet arrive here in Mid Mississippi…There is talk of frost this week. Now that is according to the weather folks….Who, of course they have been wrong before…Just last week they had folks in such a state of panic they were canceling events left and right…. because of the threat of Heavy rain, high winds, and hail. Not little hail, “Golf ball or larger” sized hail.




None of that materialized around here….of course, I want the weather people to give us a heads up, when they feel there is a dangerous event approaching…and they should error on the side of caution. How ever they seemed of have gotten into a pattern of , how shall I put it, overstating the facts, with alarm and conviction in their voices. They even have gone to telling us the specific time to expect the disastrous event. Like they are reporting on an invasion from hostile aliens Perhaps to add drama? So as not to be out done by the talk shows that specialize in sensational subjects that’s it only purpose is to in alarm their viewers?




Could it be one of these days, we will no longer take heed of their warnings.? I just wish they would state the facts about the on coming weather …..more like the old TV news reporter Edward R Murrow, he broad cast from London during WWII as bombs were being dropped, …not in a hysterical panic ….his voice was steady, low and calm. I would like the weather folks to report more like Edward R Murrow, and less like Jerry Springer and that crowd.




Speaking of weather, wasn’t it lovely this past Saturday, The L.C. and I went back to The Terry for the First Saturday Flea Market to sell my cement leaves. I bought more wonderful stuff ….My very favorite purchase was an old time feed dolly, like they use at the Gaddis McLaurin hardware store to haul the cat and dog food to the my truck. But I believe…Gaddis McLairin’s and my feed dolly was in use years before they ever thought about bagging cat and dog food.




Then I bought two resin rabbits…they are so cute…I placed them on one of my flat concrete leaves and sat it on the kitchen table….then I bought an old time , metal, file holder shaped like a book….and a samsonnite train case, I already had one, it belonged to John’s grandmother’s…it lives in the front bedroom on one of the twin beds…now I have one for the other bed…can you believe my good fortune?



This time of year there is so much going on…The Friends of Raymond were having a battle feild clean up day Saturday too….and they were giving away History Channel T Shirts to those who showed up to work and they were having hot dogs for lunch! Doesn’t that sound like fun! Crazy isn‘t it….if someone tried to hire me to go paint cannons and weed eat…..I probably would not be interested….but promise me a T-Shirt and something to nibble and I will work all day.
I wanted to go paint a cannon…But The L.C. reminded me that we said we were going to Terry, therefore, we had to go to Terry…of course he was right…you must do, what you say you are going to do. And I am not sorry…I did find all of those wonderful treasures.




Love to all , call if you need me




Recently I have had requests for my green bean sandwich recipe…It actually began as “Three Bean sandwich” but as I told my friend Gordon Cotton, (he thought it was a recipe I had personally invented)…I had to confess…”No, I had to change the name, when I changed the recipe.”




The Edwards Green Bean Sandwiches
Marinate whole beans in Italian dressing or your own homemade vinegatette
(canned or fresh cooked to the crisp tender stage)
Mix together 2 parts Mayonnaise and one part yellow mustard
Flatten fresh sandwich bread with rolling pin, (I leave the crust on, but for a dainty party you might want to cut the crust off….I don‘t, but you might) spread with the mayo /mustard mixture and place beans on bread and roll….how many beans you put on the sandwich depends on the length of your beans and which way you roll, I roll mine corner to corner so it usually take 6 beans …3 at each end.
Before spreading the Mayo mustard mixture, I spread the bread quite thinly with butter, it is not necessary, but I like my culinary hero, Julia Child ,try not miss an opportunity to have a bit of butter in a recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment