Thursday, February 18, 2010

Christiansen's Comments Hinds County Gazette

HCG February, 4, 2010




You all, an unmade bed is not nearly so unattractive… when you have two magnificent cats curled up in the rumple. The timing of my making of the bed, is based solely on when Scout and Harper decide to get up and begin their day… I mention the cats on the bed, because I have the office in a tangle, so I have moved my writing to the “The Lucille Room”. (My bedroom).



The Lucille room is just back together, I was moved out of it, for about two weeks, taking down the acoustical ceiling tile, the wall paper and cheese cloth that was under the tile, in order to expose the beautiful old wood beneath the layers. The walls are the old exposed wood too….so you feel like you are in a cave if you don’t put trim at the wall tops…the ceiling is right at 12 feet…pretty high up for an old person.







Way back, when John and I were looking for a house buy, the realtor showed us a house that belonged to two older ladies …they had always tended to much of the home’s repairs themselves….well, as the realtor told it, when the ladies got up in their 80s, the family, worried for their safety, came and took their ladders away. As I recall, to change a light bulb, they put their heads together and rigged up something to climb on in order to reach the bulb…, there was accident with broken bones…the ladies had to leave their home…..I have never forgotten that story….



The older I get the more careful I am becoming…The thought of falling and breaking bones and having to go stay with daughter Angela while convalescing is enough to make me think cautiously…You all, she would make me do all of the physical therapy mess….no matter how severe the pain.



The morning I planned to begin the work, in the Lucille Room, I went to thinking of those ladies who had to leave their home… And concluded Twelve feet might not so high if you have a really good ladder. I had very sturdy 6 and 8 foot ladders…but my 10 foot, aluminum ladder ..it was sort of quivered when you reach out to pound a nail. I called Gaddis see did they have a good sturdy ladder, Nettie went and checked… they had one… it was quite pricey…I hesitated, but only briefly. It was a no brainer, when suddenly came the mental picture of me having to go to recuperate at Angela’s ….…. Charlie and I scampered out the door, jumped in the truck and went after that ladder…



My bright yellow, heavy duty, Werner ladder is my new best friend…I can pound nails to my hearts content and it does not shake or go to scooting side to side or back and forth..



I was not going to start a new project…not with Spring so close…there is much to do in this yard before Spring arrives. But it turned cold…my new ladder and I conferred we decided to move on in to the office, (The Ms Mama Room” ) and build a set of bookcases, one on each side of the fireplace…we believe we can squeeze in one more home improvement adventure, before the days begin to get warmer.



Yellow Werner, my new ladder, is very cooperative, and supportive when it comes to projecting…I hope we have many happy, productive years ahead of us. And when it comes time for my ladders and I to be separated, I pray Adam and Angela let us make that decision….

I would like, my truck, my lawn mower and my ladders to be with me right to the end.



call if you need me

No comments:

Post a Comment