Thursday, February 18, 2010

"Christiansen's Comments" Hinds County Gazette

HCG February 11 2010




Here is the recipe for the dumplings…some of you have been asking for….



My, “Mrs. Smith’s, Suzanne’s grandmother’s Dumplings” In Mrs. Smith’s own words.



“Dumplings”

Sift about 3 cups of plain flour in bowl. In the center of the flour put one large tablespoon of shortening,

and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix with spoon until it is like meal- gradually add 1 cup of sweet milk. Mix until dough is smooth and firm enough to handle. Place in refrigerator for a while and when you roll out sprinkle board with flour- roll real thin. Have broth boiling big and drop dumplings in slowly.



Suzanne also remembered her grandmother using this dumpling dough for her chicken pot pies too. Grandma Smith, lined, what Suz described, “as a tube pan without the tube.” she then Poked the crust with a fork, placed it in the oven until it had browned nicely….then Mrs. Smith filled the pan with chicken and dumplings, laid on a top crust…put it back in the oven until the top crust turned brown…..I am going to try it.



God blessed me with incredibility good health, I am almost never puny…In fact, back when I was diagnosed with cancer, John and I were in the oncologist’s office, the doctor was in the mist of explaining the chemo treatments, when abruptly, while looking down at some papers he had in his hands, made this statement, “You are remarkably healthy.” John eyes got big and he made a disbelieving sound…something between a growl and a cough, the doctor hastily added, “well, except for the cancer”.



But a miserable cold has jumped on me, it put me in the bed all day Saturday and a great deal of Sunday. You all, I have begun to question, was I really so sick that I needed to be in bed?…Or has all the rainy, cloudy, chill filled days finally gotten to me?…. Not to mention the brown grass and leafless trees. My projects were finished…The birds weren’t singing.



So did I stay in bed because of the depressing weather? Or because my projects (bookcases in the Ms. Mama room and tile off the ceiling in the Lucille Room) were completed, therefore had no pressing reason to get up? Was it just too easy to gave in and take to the bed?…. And consider this….there were warm, purring cats sleeping at the foot of the bed, that may have some bit of influence on my decision to stay in bed …. Well perhaps not, as I have cats in my bed every morning.




Well, I have a reason to get up and get going now! My sewing machine gave out months ago… Lindsey Noble is sorting and distributing some of her mother and dad’s (Bob and Betty Kemp) things…. getting the house ready to sell….Lindsey gave me Betty’s machine…I am thrilled! I have a curtain to make…then aprons will be next on the agenda . Unless the sun comes out and it warms up…then the plan will have to be hedge trimming.

Call if you need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment