Sunday, April 17, 2011

Christiansen's Comments...Hinds County Gazette April 14 2011

Last Friday, Whit and I watched as the last building , the old Lewis Mercantile, on Main street between highway 80 and the Railroad tracks come tumbling down . They used a backhoe to manipulate the old building’s calculated descent to the ground. I really thought the old building would have crashed into a pile of rubble on the first blow from the backhoe’s bucket…But the old building didn’t give up that easy…it took more persuading to bring it down then one might would have expected.



Whit in front of the Old Lewis Building
Edwards Mississippi


When Whit and I struck out that morning to see what we could see…we sure didn’t expect to see anything that exciting. Whit’s great grandfather Lewis built the building, in 1893, anyway that is the year the man that was tearing it down told us .…they gave Whit a brick.



It is so much fun to hang out with Whit….everything is new to him and every thing is exciting to him…it was fun to see his little feet kick in excitement as the old building came down. No stray brick could possibly hit us….We were watching from a safe distance, the parking lot across the street. However, the front sort of fell in slow motion …. Great clouds of dust funneled out the front door. I quick like a mouse took a picture…then grabbed the stroller and tried to get Whit out of the way of the cloud of dust that was coming straight at us….A few particles may have landed on him. Whit’s mommy is pretty laid back but was not certain how she would feel about him being up in the middle of a haze antique grime…..




As I was a running in the direction of clear air…I said to Whit, “I can’t wait until you are old enough to take some of the heat.” Grandson Garrett and I stayed in trouble…But then came a day when I heard this, “I don’t care what your grandma said! You know better!”



Of course, I would never have told Garrett he did not need to tell his parents everything he knew…But I thought, surely one day on he is going to figure it out on his own…he never did.

Gotta go

call if you need me….





No comments:

Post a Comment