Sunday, August 12, 2007

Christiansen's Comments Hinds County Gazette



It is all over...except for taking down the signs.....



Christiansen’s comments
Hinds County Gazette August 09 2007


I don’t know why I sat down here this morning, because I have absolutely nothing to say. Except is hot and humid? That is not news; it is, after all, August.
And why in the world, the folks who are in charge of such things, want to have an election in August, in Mississippi, is more then I know. Here we are, fixing to make some very significant decisions concerning the destiny of our state and counties and we the citizens are hot, cranky, and ill tempered…. just looking for a fight. It is unreasonable for them, to make us think, this hard, what with all of this unforgiving heat and humidity.
I must tell you, when I have been outside in the soaring temperatures… working and then come inside to have a quick cold drink of water, before going back out…. And the phone rings, it is someone asking me to consider voting for their candidate…. it takes a good bit of effort on my part to be civil, to the caller, let alone appear interested…I try hard not to be impolite to real people.
Of course 90% of the campaign calls are computer generated, I did not think I would ever come to this way of thinking, but, I have come to appreciate those calls, because I can slam the phone down…helps me let off some steam…And the computers does not know I have been discourteous.
Those poor politicians, they can’t be in any better humor then we are…The high temperatures and soaking humidity is having an effect on them too…..It is evident some are getting a bit testy.
The TV news people don’t have it much better…They look hot to me in their coats and ties and designer dresses…And Bless their Hearts, they can’t help but be aware that we are less interested in what they or the candidate being interviewed has to say… then what the weatherman might tell us.
And those weather people, they are not unlike some politicians, they too will look you in the eye and say things that are not true…
It is quite obvious weather forecasting is mostly guess work… I am coming to except that. Why can’t they? They could forecast the weather, with a little less certainty, so as not to get our hopes up.
A while back when we were in that dry spell…one morning the weather man was so sure we were to get rain in the late afternoon, he told us to get our umbrellas and warned the commuters to be prepared for rain slick roads, on their drive home that afternoon,
Well, he had me convinced, enough, that I invited a couple of friends, to come that afternoon for a glass of wine on the porch, “We will watch it rain!”. …The rain never came….we were very disappointed.
Oh well, it will be over soon….the election, not the heat and humidity, we have many more days of that to suffer through.
Some dilemmas I have no solutions to offer, but this election quandary, I have the answer! Yes I do! We should schedule all elections in the early spring; the first Tuesday after the first daffodil blooms…Everybody is cheerful in the spring.
Love to all
Call if you need me…

No comments:

Post a Comment